June 22, 2008

Our Little Vegetable Garden

Today, I finally planted our garden. It was a lot of work. It still contained the remnants of last year's garden, leaves from the fall and about a million weeds. I cleaned up all the dead stuff (perfect for our soon-to-be compost pile) and pulled all the weeds. Then I turned the soil with a pitchfork - that was a good workout! Here's what we'll be eating this summer: Tomatoes (5 different kinds - I'm a bit of a tomato junkie!), Cucumbers, Peppers, Beans, Lettuce, Basil, Dill, Chives and Lemon Balm (for tea). That completely filled the space we have - I'd love to create more space and have less lawn...I may need to talk Jason into that. Elaine, one of my good friends, was awesome and came over to help me plant. Thanks Elaine! I can't wait to eat veggies that we planted, raised and harvested. Our hope is that by growing some of the food we eat, we're becoming a little bit more self-sustaining. Every little bit counts, right? We'll update you on the status of our little garden as the summer progresses.

No comments: