June 18, 2008

We're back...

After a long and sometimes sad and difficult month, we're back. Here's a quick rundown on what's happened since we last posted.

Mother's Day ~ It was a great first Mother's Day. Jason and Eliot make me breakfast burritos (so yummy!) and gave me a pedicure (much needed!) We also visited with Jason's mom who didn't really comprehend that it was Mother's Day due to her Alzheimer's, which has now progressed to a point where she occasionally doesn't remember people. It was nice to see her and spend time with her, nonetheless. The China earthquake happened one day after Mother's Day and it was really difficult for me to watch the mothers of the children who died in the school that collapsed. I cannot fathom losing a child and my heart goes out to them.

Mandy's Injury ~ Somehow our dalmatian, Mandy, injured herself in our yard and ended up with a large cut on one of her spots. We didn't notice it until a day or two later at which time it had become infected and granulated. She needed emergency surgery (Ouch! says our bank account) but she's completely recovered and back to her crazy, hyper self.

Visit from Jen, Tom & Paige ~ Our good friends from Seattle spent a week at our house while they were visiting family and friends in Minnesota. We got to meet Paige (6 weeks old) for the first time and spend some great quality time with all of them.

Memorial Day ~ We spent a very stormy weekend at my parent's house in Roberts, Wisconsin. The night before we went, Tucker, one of our Llasa Apso's (yes, we have 3 dogs!) barked all night long and threw up periodically. We couldn't figure out what was wrong with him and we were extremely frustrated as it made for a night of little sleep. He continued to be sick the next day while we were at my parent's and at one point he appeared to vomit fecal matter - sorry for the graphic details! We took him to an emergency vet, which is difficult to find on a holiday weekend and he required IV antibiotics overnight after being diagnosed with pancreatitis. (Ouch! Ouch! says our bank account.) Thankfully, he also recovered.

Uncle Jake ~ At the beginning of June, my uncle Jake (my dad's sister's husband) passed away suddenly after having a heart attack. This was completely unexpected and terribly difficult for our entire family. We drove to Canada on Monday as the wake was on Tuesday and the funeral was on Thursday. This was the first person that I've been quite close to that has passed away and I have found it very hard. I read the obituary and eulogy at the funeral. I still can't really believe that he's gone and whenever I think about my aunt or my cousin and his family, my heart hurts. It doesn't feel real to me and I don't know when it will... Barb - if you're reading this, we love you and we're always available for anything you need!!


Grandpa's pacemaker surgery & 60th Wedding Anniversary ~ We drove to Canada the next weekend for my grandparents 6oth wedding anniversary. A couple of days prior, my grandpa had a syncopal episode (passed out) and was taken to the hospital. His heart had stopped and they determined that he needed a pacemaker. It was implanted on Wednesday and he was home by Friday in time for their anniversary celebration on Sunday. Our entire family (my mom's side) was there and it was great to catch up with everyone.

Daycare ~ Eliot has adjusted to daycare and now loves it. He loves playing with Claire (1 year today - Happy Birthday!) and watching Jude (3+ years). This is a huge weight off my shoulders. I find it really difficult to be away from him every day and not having to worry about him makes it a lot easier. At his four month appointment, he weighed 16 lbs, 5 oz! He's a big boy! We just recently had new pictures taken of him which we'll share as soon as we get them back.

I can say that our lives are still a little bit out of control, but maybe this is just how it will be from now on...I tried to create a schedule for cleaning the house and doing laundry, but that's been a huge failure to this point. We've also been negligent in updating the blog, exercising (this a HUGE problem), working on Eliot's baby book, planting our garden, working on our yard, etc., etc. Maybe we'll make a new attempt at all of it again next week. I'm going to end this post here as it's past midnight as I finish this post and we all have a long day ahead of us tomorrow.

No comments: