July 29, 2008

What's for dinner tonight?

I spent my evening making baby food for Eliot. It's very easy to do - you basically steam or boil the veggies until soft and then mash or puree them to the consistency of your liking. We're not completely pureeing most foods as our pediatrician recommended letting him get used to semi-solids right from the get-go. She said he will learn how to manipulate food in his mouth and lessen the risk of choking when we transition to a totally solid diet. It works...he has no problem chewing (or should I say gumming) a piece of banana, avocado or a bean. The things that I do puree, I leave a bit chunky. Today he was able to pick up the aduki beans with his thumb and forefinger and put it in his mouth - working on those fine motor skills!

So here's what was for dinner tonight: organic aduki beans, zucchini, golden beets (both locally grown & organic), organic carrots and sweet peas (locally grown & organic). Dessert consisted of mashed organic bananas and applesauce. He ate a little bit of each food - I'd say his favorites were the aduki beans and the golden beets.


The bambu spoon is great! It's softer than metal and not made out of plastic! The one thing that's no fun about making baby food? Cleaning up the mess afterwards - which is why I made Jason do it!




Thrush update: I'm feeling a bit better today. Back to breastfeeding with my eyes squeezed shut, a grimace on my face and a bit of leg thrashing to deal with the pain. Eliot had another relatively crabby day. Tomorrow we see the doctor again. Oh, and it turns out that yeast can live forever as spores waiting to be fed and reactivated by moisture. Nice thought, huh?

1 comment:

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

Kerri, I hope the thrush gets better soon - owie!

And wowza on the baby food! You are such a good mom. :)